CnT-40 is specifically designed for selective isolation and rapid expansion of primary epidermal melanocytes. It was developed using human tissue, but may also be used with other species (e.g. mouse).
It uses an optimized basal medium with additional trace elements, protective antioxidants and vitamins.
This basal medium is then supplemented with a range of growth factors to deliver extended melanocyte proliferation, including endothelin 1 and 3, and 1% FCS.
It can easily be upgraded for clinical applications by replacing the FCS with human serum. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details and pricing.
Melanocytes growing in CnT-40 medium display primarily a proliferative bipolar phenotype. The cells retain melanin expression.
We also offer complementary media specifically tailored for melanocyte differentiation and whitening studies. Please see the Melanocyte Page for an overview.
The medium undergoes a range of QC tests in our lab before being released for sale. Please see the datasheet for details.
Thawing, seeding and passaging protocols are particularly important for optimal cell growth. Please visit our Protocols Page for our recommendations.
Please visit our publications database and search by tissue type to obtain a range of articles that have used CELLnTEC primary cells and media in this specific field.
CnT-40 is a liquid culture medium kit including both basal medium and supplements. CnT-40 contains progenitor cell targeted (PCT) factors plus a range of melanocyte-specific factors (including endothelin-1 and endothelin-3) and 1% serum. It does not contain antibiotics / antimycotics, and is free of PMA and TPA. The basal medium contains amino acids, minerals, vitamins and organic compounds, but is protein free.
- Developed for human melanocytes. May be used for other species as well.
- Tissue type
- Pack size
- 500 mL bottle, fully supplemented with growth factors. No further additions required.
- Product use
- Developed for maximum efficiency isolation and growth of melanocytes in primary culture. Selective for melanocytes.
- Culture condition
- This medium is designed for use in a 5% CO2 atmosphere. For suggested cell culture protocols, please see our resources section.
- For routine cell cultivation, CELLnTEC recommends to work without antibiotics / antimycotics.
- Storage / Shelf life
- Store frozen below -15 °C. For best before date, see label. To prepare medium for use, thaw in a water bath set to room temperature. Do not use higher temperatures. Swirl frequently, approximately every 20 min, to ensure good mixing of the ingredients and temperature equilibration. Stop at melting of the last bit of ice to prevent warming at the end of the thawing process. Once thawed, medium has a remaining shelf-life of 6 weeks when stored at 4 °C in the dark. Certain culture media components are very sensitive to light. Minimize light exposure at all times.
- Quality control
- Media functionality and cell morphology tested by cell cultivation over 2 passages in supplemented medium. Osmolality, pH and concentration of various ions are tested. Free of bacteria, fungi and mycoplasma contamination.
- Shipping condition
- CnT-40 is shipped frozen.
- Intended use
- For research use only. Not for use in therapy or diagnostics.
- Last update